Rules and Guidelines
It is with great excitement that Green Mountain Adventures officially announces the 15th Annual Otter Creek Classic April 14th - 16th, 2023.
In celebration of the VT’s Regulation changes we are moving to warmer days and happier fish. Please note the updated rules, scoring and event boundaries.
The OCC15 is targeting an in-person event with the ability to gather safely. We believe unwaveringly that safety is paramount and will do everything to make the event safe for all participants. We are working diligently to get as much info to you as soon as possible. Please keep an eye on the website and social channels for updates.
We are optimistic that we will be able to host the pre-event meeting and post event awards ceremony.
Fishing Boundaries will be the entire Otter Creek and White River watersheds. If it flows into the White River or the Otter Creek in Vermont, it is inbounds. The White River lower boundary is the confluence with the Connecticut River. The Otter Creek lower boundary is the confluence of the Otter into Lake Champlain.
OCC15 BOUNDRIES AND RIVER CLOSURES: Stocking has begun, which also includes the annual 2 year trophy stocking program. We are eliminating 2 sections of river due to the recent trophy stocking in those areas.
- EAST CREEK: East Creek will be CLOSED to OCC15 competitors from Route 7 west, downstream to the confluence of Otter Creek. East Creek upstream, east of Route 7 will remain OPEN.
- OTTER CREEK: Otter Creek will be CLOSED to OCC15 competitors from Hartsboro Rd in South Wallingford, VT upstream, south to the headwaters of Otter Creek. Otter Creek downstream, north of Hartsboro Rd will remain OPEN.
If competitors are observed fishing in these CLOSED areas, they will be disqualified from the OCC15 and subject to street justice.
Fly Fishing Only
SCORING: With the rivers being stocked we are utilizing the “Best 6” scoring rule. This will score your best 6 fish EACH DAY. If you catch 7 or more fish we will score your 6 longest trout. Document all of your landed fish with a picture and a measurement and the scoring committee will do the work for you. If possible, you will be able to score 12 trout, 6 each day. You cannot carry over additional fish from one day to the next. Each angler will be responsible for their own tape measure. For those whom do not have one available we have a few extras at the shop.
Read below for more ways to score points.
- OCC Cares Award Points: OCC15 competitors that fill a bag of trash over the course of the weekend will awarded an additional 5 points. 1 per the entire event. Please provide your own garbage bag, for those whom don’t have a bag, we will have extras at the shop.
- Cycle Award Points: Any angler who scores all 3 species of trout in a day will be awarded an additional 5 points. This is available both days to anglers who wish to pursue it, but you must choose to score all 3 species, even if one is smaller than the one of your longest 6 trout. For those anglers who catch a cycle on either or both days the scoring committee will assess your score and give you the highest value of points possible.
Friday, April 14th
- FRIDAY, April 14th: PRE-EVENT MEETING
- In Person(optional): We will be hosting a pre-event meeting at the shop, 56 Main St. Middlebury VT 05753. This is your opportunity to pick up your entry gift, buy raffle tickets and interact with other competitors. The meeting starts at 6PM
- Virtual Meeting: We will be streaming a brief run through the rules, boundaries and schedule on Facebook Live. We will announce the time by Thursday of this week. If you are not a member of Facebook you can still access the Facebook page and watch the video here: https://www.facebook.com/Green-Mountain-Adventures-280268206226/
- SATURDAY, April 15TH OCC15 DAY 1
- Fishing from Sunrise to 5pm
- Scorecards must be turned in to the shop by 5pm
7:00 pm: Virtual Day 1 Update (leaderboard will be posted to our website OCC page, Instagram and Facebook)
- SUNDAY, April 15TH OCC15 DAY 2
- Fishing from Sunrise to 12pm
- Scorecards must be turned in to the shop by 12pm
- AWARD CEREMONY 1PM, location TBD
Registration will be online at mmvt.com Event entries will be going back to a tiered pricing structure, with four different tiers.
Tier 1 = $??, with a registration prize of a ??. Must register by February 1st, 2023.
Tier 2 = $1??, registration prize of a ??. Must register by March 1st, 2023
Tier 3 = $??, registration prize is a pair of Men's or Women's Darn Tough Vermont Made Socks.
Tier 4 = $30, Youth Division (15 years old and younger), registration prize is a simms neck gaiter and swag pack
All registration fees are non-refundable. Due to the size of the event and limited administrative staff, refunds will not be offered. If you register and are unable to attend, your registration will be added to the donation to our conservation program partnership. If you are unsure if you will be able to attend, we recommend you do not register until you can confirm.
CONSERVATION PARTNERSHIP: The OCC15 will be supporting ?? We will be hosting an online raffle, purchase a "support the OCC Stickers" below, each sticker purchased will give you a chance to win some of the great prizes listed. Drawing will be held on Sunday April 16th at the OCC afterparty.
Supporting Our Community
Combined with funds raised from the Fly Fishing Film Tour(FFFT) here are several projects the money raised from OCC entries has gone to over the years:
- Eagle Park UPF (Handicap Fishing Access Ramp) on New Haven River
- Muddy Branch Project, Riparian Buffer Enhancement
- Middlebury River Project
- Saunders Project, (Summer of 2013-14) Large River Improvement on Bristol Flats region of NHR
- Educational Scholarships, for those seeking the field of Conservation
- Special Guest Speakers
- Women in Waders, Free Fly Tying Clinics and Youth Days, and many other free to the public instructional programs
- River Clean Ups.
The 2012 FFFT and OCC4 was featured on VT public television's Outdoor Journal, for a look at the event here is the link: